[OM] Re: IT8, was Slide copying with Olympus E1

Subject: [OM] Re: IT8, was Slide copying with Olympus E1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:53:03 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:

>Moose
>
>I suppose you are not profiling your monitor in the same sense as you
>are profiling your scanner to interpret each film to provide a
>consistent output,

No. I'd like to get to the goal of full color calibration of all
components, but the price of systems with those little thingies that
read the screen has kept me away so far.

>but ...  I use an Apple system to calibrate my monitor for what I want to
>view.

I use Adobe Gamma, then check some of the sites on the web with tools
for adjusting the monitor.

>I suppose that it does not match a
>film profile, but the film is not what is driving this exercise.  You
>are trying to standardise your equipment so that a certain colour or
>light level looks the same on your monitor whatever the source.  You
>are trying to do the same with your printer.

Correct. And Vuescan profiling does offer such calibration for scanners
(consistency between film and flatbed scanners!), films and printers.
All that is missing is the monitor. To date, all I've been able to
attempt is that the monitor looks good and is pretty close to what comes
out of the printer.

If Vuescan offered profiling of camera RAW files, it could then use a
picture of an IT8 target (scanned on a profiled scanner) on the screen
to profile the monitor - I think?

Considering the number of profiles needed for multiple films, lighting
conditions, papers, inks, etc., I've concluded that color calibration
isn't for sissies. Or the lazy, which often includes me.

Moose