[OM] Re: Having 90/2, should I buy 50/3,5?

Subject: [OM] Re: Having 90/2, should I buy 50/3,5?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:27:15 -0800
orava@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>Dear Zuikoholics,
>
>Zuikoholism is bothering me again. I have 90/2 that I use very much for macro
>shots with 4Ti and with E-1. I have began to play with an idea of buying
>50/3,5
>macro. They are quite cheap. I am just curious that do I really NEED that
>50/3,5?
>
><...>
>What about sharpness and contrast? Is 90/2 so superior to 50/3,5 that I
>shouldn't even consider it? I bet that the difference is not that huge...

Actually, the difference may well be in the opposite direction from what
you expect. At least in the macro range. The one test I know of (thanks,
Brian) that includes macro shows it to be a fine, but not outstanding,
macro lens <http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/%7Ebj/zuiko/101413.htm>.
And Gary's tests show the 50/3.5 to be the equal of the 90/2 at 1:40 at
f5.6 and below. My personal experience leads me to believe the 50/3.5 is
a better macro lens from say about 1:4 to 1:1 than the 90/2. I have a
lot of experience with two 50/3.5s. My 90/2 experience is more limited,
but I have not been blown away by macro results from it. Not bad at all,
but not the magic one might expect. The 50/3.5 is a very fine lens.

In a controlled situation on tripod or stand, with plenty of light and
with a stationary subject, I would definitely (well, do, actually) use
the 50/3.5 for macro work. Where the 90/2 shines is in it's speed, which
allows it to snap into focus more obviously and in darker situations
than the 50/3.5. It is also very sharp and contrasty at normal and
moderate close focus distances.

Enough rational to NEED one?? :-)

Moose