[OM] Re: MF film scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: MF film scanning
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:19:20 -0800
BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>John,
>
>I've got the Epson 4870 flatbed. it does an acceptable job with my 6x6 stuff,
>although not as good as a dedicated film scanner.

Have you looked at the photo-i review of the 4870? He does a direct
comparison on 6x7 slide film with a scan from a Flextight Precision 2
scanner at 3200dpi. and shows the results at full pixel detail. He
claims the 4870 is a bit better. I'm not sure about that, but it sure
isn't any worse. All scans (including the Flextight) are sharpened, but
that is necessary with all flatbed scans of film to bring out what is in
the scan. He also does an interesting side-by-side of two 4870 scans,
one at 4800 dpi and another at 3200, then upsampled to 4800. Less may,
in this case, be more.

> I think this has been replaced by a newer model, as I've seen some good deals
> lately.

The 4990 has been released.

Moose