[OM] Re: Reserve prices on that site Was: Jez's OM gear for sale

Subject: [OM] Re: Reserve prices on that site Was: Jez's OM gear for sale
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:15:14 +1100
it IS like a real auction but without the opportunity to watch your
opposition closely. The argument for a zero start and a hidden reserve
is that it encourages people to start bidding and once they've
started...the red mist may prevail.
But you pay heavily for that theory. It's all based on competition and
unless there's a mad face-off by two bidders or more, you'll only ever
get what someone is prepared to pay on the day. A fair starting price
is a good indication to a buyer of what you are prepared to accept and
has an element of honesty to it that appeals to me. It's also cheaper
so bugger the honesty.
AndrewF