[OM] Re: REAL photographers use film!

Subject: [OM] Re: REAL photographers use film!
From: "GeeBee" <geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:52:24 -0000
From: <NSURIT@xxxxxxx>

> Hate to lead you astray (don't believe it for a minute), however you might
> find the APUG forum to be of interest.  Analog Photography Users Group,
> (apug.org) has a bunch of like minded people.  They damn near drummed me
out when I
> asked a question about using a pinhole on a digital  camera.  They sent my
> inquiry to the trash and branded a big  "D" on my forehead.  Other than
that a pr
> etty good group so long as  you don't use the "D" word.  Bill Barber

------------------------------------

I consider myself a film user having tried digital and left it alone for
months. I thought I would be among friends on the APUG but boy was I wrong.
I uploaded for comment one of the images below ( I forget which) and to
quote Bill Hicks it was like a walked into a Klan rally in a Boy George
outfit. I got nigh on instant feedback of the hostile kind (go down the hall
and leave by the door marked 'Photoshop' or words to that effect) and within
a couple of minutes two more followed in similar vein although not as
strident. I thought they were all gratuitously snotty but it's their club so
I withdrew the image and left.

I then decided to seek clarification concerning the ground rules by logging
into the chat room and mingling with the natives. They were friendlier but
when I pressed for an answer to the question "how do you get the image onto
the web without some digital involvement?" I was told with a smiley "we are
all living a lie"

The APUG may be just the group that some OM users are looking for but you
should be aware that the  impression given to me was that your workflow
should be to prepare a print in the darkroom and scan the finished print for
the web. Whatever you do don't make the mistake I made by uttering the word
PhotoShop :-)

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Olympus/Favourite_things_02.htm

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Leica/Favourite_things.htm

--Graham