[OM] Re: REAL photographers use film!

Subject: [OM] Re: REAL photographers use film!
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:28:41 -0800 (PST)
This thread has me thinking.  (now that's dangerous)

Yesterday, I loaded the family up and we went to the local
botanical center. The girls shared a digital (Olympus), the wife
had her digital (kodak) and I shot with an OM-2S (Velvia 100F)
and the M*nolta A1.

Except for the Velvia shots, we all got to look at our pictures
we took.  Hate to say it, but I'm getting outclassed by my
girls. Everybody took awesome pictures.

That said, I've got to say that the OM-2S was the most enjoyable
to shoot with. Why? Because of the viewfinder. There were things
that I saw with the OM that just didn't work in the EVF. I had
to trust that the digital camera was going to get something
usable.

Having the 50/3.5 or 100/2.8 loaded on the OM opened up so many
possibilities. I could see, compose and artistically define my
picture. The benefit of shooting with a 4x5 is that you get to
spend time perfecting the image on the ground glass BEFORE you
shoot. The OM is the 35mm equivelent to that.

I took a picture of some form of fan palm tree that had this big
leaf which radiated outward from the stalk. In the OM viewfinder
I could see every hair eminating from the leaf. In the digital,
I could see the ribs, but that was it. What makes this picture
so impossible with digital is that the radiating pattern
converges from every angle. Can you say "aliasing"?  Getting the
picture to look ok at 100% pixels was a chore in itself, but
resizing and/or printing it is another whole story. I cannot
resize this puppy without serious aliasing problems.  It's a
cool shot, but unless I get it to resize, It'll never see the
light of day on the website.  The original file absolutely runs
out of horsepower at 5MP. In fact, I seriously doubt that
anything short of 12MP could capture what I SAW in the Olympus
viewfinder.

Fortunately, I had Velvia with me.

AG