[OM] Re: Ice hockey photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Ice hockey photography
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:51:11 -0500
James, Barry, John:
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

1) I agree that practice will help, though I don't expect to be doing
this more than two or three times a year (the tiny one lives approx 2
hrs away, though my wife has two teenage nephews in Connecticut who also
play hockey).  At this time, I will be happy with the "cute kid"
pictures - as will the parents and extended family.  For the 6 yr old, I
will try to get access to the bench area, where there's no plexiglass.

2) I had not really thought about black and white. I'm really a colour
person. B&W rarely does anything for me. However, I will try it once to
see how the pictures come out.  Who knows, maybe I will like the effect.

3) I will not bring flash again, for a number of reasons. Aside from the
safety aspect, my flash runs out at 800ASA, so I would probably be
limited to using it in TTL mode on the OM-2, rather than automatic mode
on the OM-1 (either f4 or f8).  It will be interesting to compare the
two sessions and see just what effect the flash had (or didn't have).

4) I will try some 1600 ASA fuji film the next time.  I will have to see
how the colour shift is without flash. As I'm new to this part, should I
mention to the person developing the film that the colour balance needs
to be checked/adjusted?  For these trial and error shots - and these
really are -  I usually just get them put on CD, and play with/print as
required at home.  That way I don't have to show or pay for the errors.

 From a general perspective, there were a number of "firsts" going on
when I took the pictures: the first real test of the Tamron, the monopod
and the environment. I also hadn't used the OM-1 in a while - even
longer with flash.  I could have screwed up quite easily!!

Martin