[OM] Re: Walks : Furtho Northamptonshire

Subject: [OM] Re: Walks : Furtho Northamptonshire
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:48:37 -0000
Thanks for a facinating diversion Graham.  I didn't know of Furtho, so had a
look to see what I could find.  You thank English Heritage for the repairs
to the church - but it looks like the credit is due to others, with a
fascinating bit of history attached.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22783 provides a detailed
history of Furtho from 1086 onwards, and mentions that "the trustees
appointed by Edmund Arnold's will took over the Furtho estate ... in January
1692".  The same Edmund Arnold's Charity evidently still owns Furtho more
than 300 years later!

Further "in 1972 the Friends of Friendless Churches, in collaboration with
[Edmund Arnold's Charity], restored the church and improved public access to
the site. Restoration was completed in 1975 and the first public services
for over forty years held in 1977. The setting of the church was improved as
part of a wider landscaping scheme involving the dovecote and farm
buildings, carried out by the Arnold trustees in the late 1990s. "

I didn't expect a fraction of what I found - and what I did find truly put
'history' in perspective.

Thanks for the inspiration to look, Graham!  Again.

--
Piers