[OM] Re: New member

Subject: [OM] Re: New member
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:15:50 -0800 (PST)
Scott,

Welcome to the zoo. They let us out of our cages once in a
while, but we seem to enjoy the world of 35mm film. :)

Since you seem to know your way around an aperture ring, let me
suggest that you don't mess around with the earlier models too
much and just get an OM-4Ti. This is the ONE camera that is sure
to please. The differences between it and the OM-2S are somewhat
dramatic in a couple handling issues, but the OM-4Ti is
definitely the best of the best when it comes to OM bodies.
You'll not regret that purchase decision.

(Did I just say that the 4Ti was better than the 2S?)

I hear you when it comes to lens sequences. I use the
24/21/50/100/135/200 focal lengths, and primarily use the 35/100
combo.  Either the 85/2 or the 100/2.8 will satisfy your need
for the perfect portrait lens. The 100/2.8 is my personal
favorite.  Don't worry about the F2 lenses. They might be a
little better in a couple of areas, but the F2.8 lenses are
absolutely no slouches and are much smaller/lighter.

There really wasn't much of any wrinkles to work out in the OM
line. The later versions (OM-2S, OM-4/4T/4Ti, OM-3/3Ti) do not
use the focusing screen for exposure determination. All metering
is done via the submirror and the sensors buried in the bottom
of the mirror chamber. This is, in my book, the killer feature
of the later models.

The 2-series focusing screens rock. I use a 2-4 (no
split/microprism) in my OM-2S and absolutely love it. I think
I've got a 1-1 (microprism only) in my OM-4 which I also like,
but not when shooting indoors. The only problem with the
2-series screens is that the "bokeh" of the screen is a bit
raspy and not the nice blobby glow of the 1-series screens. If
you do a lot of artistic flower macro photography, you may
actually prefer the 1-series screen because of it.

> One bit of confusion . . . a lot is made of the mirror
> dampening
> mechanism Maitani-san developed for the OM-1; was that carried
> through to the 4T(i) and 2S?

Yes. However, even with mirror-lockup, the OM-1 has the most
vibration because of the aperture actuation mechanism. As
compared to the other cameras at the time, the Olympus was
absolutely the quietest SLR out there.

> My digital rig is EOS and it weighs more than I do.

Get yourself an adaptor and you can use some of those Zuiko
lenses on the EOS. You'll have to fight the stop-down shooting
method, but at least the lenses give your pictures some life.

AG