[OM] Digital diffraction

Subject: [OM] Digital diffraction
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:02:20 -0800
This quote by Bjorn Rorslett, who tests a lot of Nikon stuff is
interesting:

the issue isn't as simple as you might think. the pixel acts as a local
area integrator and a convolution kernel and this throws a spanner in
much of the existing theory. I have shot at f/32 with the 50-300/4.5ED
Nikkor on my D2X and the images are critically sharp. The same setting
with this lens using my F5 gave very soft images.

DOF theory taken from film-based systems tend to fail on digital, too.
We need a new set of criteria.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA