[OM] Re: OM CAMERAS VIBRATIONS

Subject: [OM] Re: OM CAMERAS VIBRATIONS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:26:40 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I doubt there is much difference in the shutter vibration at all since
>they are very similar I believe. Besides vibration from the mirror
>there is vibration from the mechanical actuation of the automatic
>diaphragm. That is why the OM4 series self timer locks the mirror up
>and closes the aperture, and why the lens tests on Gary Reese's site
>are different for the OM1 and the OM4.

I agree with Winsor and add, since you specifically asked about the
OM-40, that it also has full mirror and aperture prefire with the self
timer like the OM-4 series.

Of more practical use, perhaps, is the advice Oly gives for all their
tele lenses from 85mm on up:

" Also, to prevent camera shake:
When using a tripod, hold the camera steady with both hands and press
the shutter release with the ball of finger, not with the cable release."

I would add that modest downward pressure from the hands helps damp the
tripod, in adition to the camera/lens. I personally think this is more
effective without mirror/aperture prefire than is mirror/aperture
prefire without using the hands to damp vibration. Also much more
convenient in many cases than waiting on a 12 sec. delay. Where there is
no hurry, both together is safest.

>On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:59 AM, angel.lobo wrote:
>
>>I´d like to know something concerning the vibration level of
>>the shutters on the different OM cameras ( OM 4, OM 40, OM 20,
>>OM2 ...)
>>
>>Talking about vibrations and MLU, Why the absence of MLU on
>>the OM 2n ? Maybe a problem concerning the inside space ?

I wonder if it wasn't for just the reasons Winsor mentioned. MLU alone
just isn't effective and adding aperture lock or prefire wasn't
practical in the OM-2 design. The OM-2 design, which is strongly based
on the OM-1, was probably under way by the time is was clear how
ineffective MLU on the OM-1 really was. In the next genreration of
Auto/Manual design, OM-2S and the 4 series, both were included.

Moose