[OM] Re: New member

Subject: [OM] Re: New member
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:27:08 -0800 (PST)
> Gentlemen, gentlemen . . . thanks for the welcome and advice.

Hey, giving advice is what we do best!  :)

> About a week ago I posted a question at Rangefinder Forum
> asking which SLR is most like an RF. Oly came up a lot and
> after reading about its history I can see why.
> But reading can go only so far and then one
> has to jump into the pool to have the experience.

Which is why I recommended the 4Ti. If you're gonna have just
one OM, this is the one. If money is no problem, the 3Ti is even
better!

What you'll like about the OM system is the very nice size and
weight. The camera is just "right". However, the only problem
you'll probably encounter is the viewfinder. The screen is scary
big when compared to Canons (even EOS film cameras). Think IMAX
theatre. The sound of an OM is oh so sweet too. There is no
harsh clunk, but the lovely tones of a well engineered device.
Kinda the difference between the sound of closing the door on a
Mercedes vs a Neon.

> Even though I live in a 'major metropolitan area' it's almost
> impossible to find a good selection of used gear so I can't
> handle these items before committing to buying them -
> frustrating!

Almost as frustrating as going into a pro camera store and
seeing nothing but Canon.

> > Ag, I'm disappointed. Go give yourself a dope slap. When it
> comes to lens sequences one should own anyone on this list
> knows it should read something like this: 8, 16, 18, 20macro,
> 21/3.5, 21/2, 24/2.8, 24/2, 24 shift, 28/3.5, 28/2.8, 28/2,
> 35/2, 35, 35 shift, 38macro, 40, 50, ......  you get the idea

Oh, but I disagree!  Granted, your recommended sequence is the
"ideal" for the Zuikoholic, I would hesitate to recommend that
to our new member quite yet. We don't want to scare him off.  If
he comes down with Zuikosis, the only cure will be for him to
acquire the entire sequence in both silvernosed and blacknosed
versions and the F2 and F2.8 varieties.

But we really could use another Tom Scales to buy up small
countries and then piece out the collection to the rest of us.
Only time will tell if he's worthy of picking up the flag.  Ebay
OM activity has been rather quiet since Tom (Hunt Brothers)
Scales has decided to bail out of silver(noses) and go to the
dark side.

Me?  I'm patiently waiting for a certain OM-4T (champaign) just
down I-80 to become available.  There's a sweet OM-2S that lives
with it too.  Oh, and a shift lens...

AG