[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:00:10 -0700
Marc Lawrence wrote:
> I can see the advantage of the smaller cameras over the
> OM1/50 combination when it comes to postage, particularly
> when it comes time for it to cross ponds.

 Count me in too, and I'd put my vote for a Trip 35/XA -- partly because
there's a much better chance of avoid shipping/import costs, but also because
as someone else else said, the point of this is that the travelling, not the
camera.

 Sending body+lens would be (relatively) heavy and bulky -- just sending the
body around would reduce that problem but then it's not really the same thing
any more, it seems like the idea here is that everyone uses the same 'thing' to
take photos, and as has been discussed here at great length, even with 50/1.8s
there's a lot of differences.

 Sure, a Trip 35/XA1 has a smaller range of options for taking photos, but
that's fine -- there's TOPE/the solstice exchanges if people want free rein to
go all out with their kit, and I think being restricted with what you can do
with the camera is a good idea, it'll make it more interesting to see what
people manage under those conditions.

 -- dan