[OM] Re: New member

Subject: [OM] Re: New member
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:41:37 -0600
At 01:38 AM 3/19/2005 +0100, you wrote:

> > Champaign is where the team that is going to win it all lives.  Very
> > Urbana
> > place.
> >

>Hey, I used to *live* and *study* there.....it's a good place....for
>studying.....since there's nothing (and I mean *NOTHING*) else to do.
>I took (believe it or not) LESS than one film in that city. Just
>getting out of there fast was encouragement to finish your thesis....;)
>
>Also, being a poor foreigner who couldn't afford to fly home for winter
>break etc., I got to experience a real ghost town: over xmas, there was
>I, and 3 squirrels, as inhabitants. I swear, if I hadn't bought enough
>stocks to last a small war, I'd have died from hunger (or had to eat
>the aforementioned three squirrels). each christmas.
>
>I think I have a photo of those squirrels somewhere....
>
>--thomas

Hey Thomas,

That part of Illinois is not the most attractive, it's true.  Still, a
woman may not be beautiful but will always seem so to her child.  That's
how home is to many people.

I have always interpreted the comment that there is "nothing to do" in a
place to say more about the speaker than the place.  Please don't take that
personally, it's just that if the sun rises on a place, I am usually able
to find something there that interests me photographically at least.

I remember meeting a New Yorker who had moved to St. Louis and was
complaining about it.  "They've only got one of everything and it's not
even the best."  If I had the patience to write a guidebook for the
perplexed in the provinces, it would probably start with the General
Store's slogan from "Prairie Home Companion": "If they don't have it, you
don't need it."

Joel W.