[OM] Re: New member

Subject: [OM] Re: New member
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:02:14 -0800
The game had high stakes in many ways. It was used to settle disputes
between city states. Instead of a war they had a ball game. The players
were soldiers and the sacrifice of the losing team enabled them to
avoid the destruction of war for many centuries. Evidently the system
finally broke down when a Toltec with his band of soldiers from the
north conquered and crowned himself king of one of the Mayan city
states and proceeded to conquer his neighbors. There is physical
evidence that it was war that finally destroyed the Mayan high
civilization.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA