[OM] Re: OT: Tilley Hats, was OM1 light meter

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Tilley Hats, was OM1 light meter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:29:47 -0800
Walt Wayman wrote:

>Earl,
>
>You might give Orvis a look.  Their ranger jacket has lots and lots of big
>pockets, both inside and outside, and the leather yoke makes carrying a
>tripod, or other object, on the shoulder much more comfortable -- no seam to
>dig in and bite.  It's also light, comfortable and washable.  I'm very well
>pleased with mine.
>
>http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=25C2&dir_id=1686&group_id=1673&feature_id=16&cat_id=5355&subcat_id=6374

Well, for about 5 times what I paid for the Fog coat in my bottom photo,
it better have a couple more pockets and some leather trim!

Actually, the real problem with a coat like that here is summarized in
one of the admiring quotes "We had wind chills of 0 degrees F and I was
very comfortable wearing it with just a sweater." We have NO days that
cold, and very few cold enough to actually be comfortable in a coat
lined like that, even without the sweater. I like the Fog particularly
because it has all the qualities of microfiber and good pockets, but has
only a very light lining. A few years ago, I bought a georgeous Italian
suede car coat. Other than one trip to Chicago in early winter, I
haven't have a chance to wear it more than once or twice a year. A bit
too dressy for the Maine woods, too.

Moose