[OM] software patents - EU Legislation

Subject: [OM] software patents - EU Legislation
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:49:34 +0000
This is mainly for the Europeans and is nearly on-topic.

Apparently Mr Gates has persuaded some of the EU| nations to support
legislation to allow software patenting; here's Charles Arthur's slant
on it.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?
story=622675

I believe his ideas in general and this complaint in particular: that
patenting of software will stifle innovation such as the "open source"
movement.

I am sick at home with sinusitis so I have spent my morning sending
faxes to Members of the European Parliament; if you feel strongly (one
way or the other I suppose) it would probably be worth doing the same.
Charles mentions how to discover your MEPs' identity (I have never
heard of mine!).

Finally, it's on-topic because we use computers in support of our
photography; we enjoy the variety of software available for adjusting
our images and it might start to restrict our choice of software.

Chris