[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip- !! modestproposal !!

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip- !! modestproposal !!
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:09:04 -0000
<snip>
Winsor,

I like your idea very much. Especially seen in the perspective of a
world
where there is already so much consumption and spilling. Would it be an
idea
to mail the picture to the next person, and the next one being inspired
by
this produces another one, etc.. etc.., more like an international
stream of
conscience? It is a bit like the summer and winter exchanges, but we
could
follow the results online.

(I really like this idea)

Iwert.
</snip>

I originally thought "what's the point of doing it if the camera doesn't
travel the world", but I really like this idea.  Without the camera
travelling from place to place, I couldn't really see what made the
project significantly different from the TOPE or other such online
galleries where each photographer submits their own images taken on
their own gear.

However, the idea of taking the photograph and then sending either it or
a scan of it to the next person on the list sounds like a lot of fun.
There are many variations we could add to it, such as :

Your shot should be "inspired" by the previous shot.
Your shot should "continue the story" of all previous shots (kinda like
a storybook effect).
The previous participant specifies something - ie: subject, some
experimental idea to try, etc... (this one is open to abuse if anyone
feels "evil" ... ;-))

And I'm sure there would be plenty of other ideas.

Anyway, whatever people decide sounds like it could be fun.  And would
actually get me out and about using some of this gear I keep acquiring !

Jon