[OM] Re: Anyone been to Abuja, Nigeria?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone been to Abuja, Nigeria?
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:48:00 +0100
>Dean asked:
>I am going to Abuja, Nigeria for work and was wondering if anyone on
>this list has any insider information.
>
>I've never been there but your concerns are not only well placed but may
>be considerably understated.  Street crime is not quite the word for it.
>Check the US State Department's asessement  of the situation here:
><http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_928.html>
>and then ask yourself if this trip is worth the risk.

The advice given by the French authorities is a little less alarming:
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/voyageurs/etrangers/avis/conseils/fiches/fiche.asp?onglet=1&pays=NIGERIA
(if you can read French). They say that "In Abuja, security is
globally satisfying. Usual precautions should apply, especially at
night (close car doors, respect police road blocks)."

But on the whole, it seems to be pretty risky. They do give some good
advice. I can make a translation for you if you are interested.

Bernard