[OM] Re: E1 Zoom--I could be convinced

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 Zoom--I could be convinced
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:41:36 +0000
Congratulations Ken!
On 25 Mar 2005, at 19:52, AG Schnozz wrote:

> I've got to say, that the 14-54 lens that came with this E-1 is
> beyond outstanding!  Very little optical distortion
> (barrel/pincushion) and very close focusing!
>
> Just don't leave the battery out overnight. It erases your
> settings.

Thanks for the hint ...
> Now, I'm niggling here, but help me out. How do I set up the AEL
> for instant spot metering?  Also, I found out how to change the
> dials around abit for P/A/S, but not M.

I know that you can't transpose the dials for aperture/shutter speed in
M, which I find counter-intuitive, but what do you mean about the AEL?
> Did you know that the E-1 with 14-54 is almost identical in
> size/shape/weight to my OM-4, with Winder-2 and 200/4?

Perhaps so, but less likely to wiggle around ;-)
> Any thoughts that the 20D was the way to go have been
> effectively neutralized. Even my idiotic test shots rock! ISO
> 400 is absolutely not a problem.  3200 is a disaster, but
> actually about the same as my A1 at 400.

I took some shots in Cambridge yesterday at 400 by mistake.  I was
about to retake them at 100, but thought, " there's no point, they will
be just the job anyway."
> But that lens is definitely a "Wow!"

I agree.  In addition, the whole thing feels so secure.  I took some
photos of a rowing tournament in the pi**ing rain in  Peterborough 2
weeks ago today.  I really did not worry that the camera was getting
soaked and my only problem was trying to take photos through a filter
covered in droplets and condensation when I came inside the clubhouse.
Even the FL-36, which I dropped off the camera while running along the
bank came through with no problems, not even a scratch!

My only mini-snag is that I have lost the cover to the PC socket ...

Chris