[OM] Re: E1 Zoom--I could be convinced

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 Zoom--I could be convinced
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:20:21 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, AG Schnozz wrote:

> I've got to say, that the 14-54 lens that came with this E-1 is
> beyond outstanding!  Very little optical distortion
> (barrel/pincushion) and very close focusing!

Although it's a very good lens with very little distortion or chromatic
aberration, I find it's significantly softer than the top end OM lenses like
the 35-80/2.8.  The 11-22mm and 7-14mm are reported to be much better than the
14-54mm.

> Now, I'm niggling here, but help me out. How do I set up the AEL
> for instant spot metering?  Also, I found out how to change the
> dials around abit for P/A/S, but not M.

Unfortunatly you can't swap the dial around in manual mode and I don't think
you can get the AEL button to choose the metering.  AEL only locks the current
meter setting.

> Did you know that the E-1 with 14-54 is almost identical in
> size/shape/weight to my OM-4, with Winder-2 and 200/4?

Yup, and it's actually lighter than a 4Ti + 35-80/2.8! 1221g vs 1284g.  The
wonders of polycabonates and alloys.
                                -mark