[OM] New Fred Miranda upsizing software

Subject: [OM] New Fred Miranda upsizing software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:16:06 -0800
I thought I was going to have to call this an OT post, but I see the E-1
is now included.

Fred has introduced new, camera specific, image resizing software. I
haven't tried it, but his upsizing examples are quite impressive
<http://www.fredmiranda.com/RP/>.

Harald Johnson's book on digital printing convinced me to rely on the
printer driver, rather than upsizing to some arbitrary dpi for printing,
since the printer driver algorithms are optimized for the specific
printer's charicteristics. I believe he was right, but FM Resize Pro may
change that.

He also claims improvement in downsampling, but shows no examples. (?!)
In theory, I guess one could do a better job of resizing with knowledge
of the exact size and location (and other characteristics?) of the
pixels. That way, you can know exactly where the contrast edges are and
treat them differently.

He claims:

"The process it uses provides much better results than the current
interpolation tools on the market since it is based on pixel contrast.
What this does, is automatically select the pixels that are essentially
responsible for the appearance of detail in your image, and gives them a
special treatment during the interpolation process. This treatment
results in a more detailed, natural looking image at any selected print
size.

After running this plugin, your interpolated image will not suffer from
any of the common side effects like artifacts or halos around high
contrast areas. Another great feature is speed! Resize Pro™ can upsize
your files at almost the same speed regardless of which image size you
choose. When it comes to downsampling, any method requires a loss of
pixel count. What Resize Pro™ can do is downsample your image while
maintaining the highest quality possible. It achieves this by carefully
choosing which pixels get thrown out during the process."

No connection, but very happy with some of his products.

Moose