[OM] Re: 21mm F2 and 24mm f2 - worth the extra over the slower 21 and 24

Subject: [OM] Re: 21mm F2 and 24mm f2 - worth the extra over the slower 21 and 24 zuikos?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:00:34 -0800
Thomas Clausen wrote:

>On 25 Mar 2005, at 20:21, Moose wrote:
>

>>You can tell I don't shoot slides and view them without digital
>>intermediation, can't you? :-)
>>
>...and you can probably tell, that if I for some reason has a
>color-film in my camera, it's slide -- and it's destined to be
>projected, not scanned ;)
>
>Polarizers are necessary for my workflow...
>
>>How can you consider yourself a true Zuikoholic without an 18.3.5? :-)
>>

>Ahmm....I've already been told once this week to hand in my
>"Zuikoholics Anonymous" membership card, so it seems to be a popular
>opinion on this list that I'm *not* a true zuikoholic ;)

Just kidding, I know enough about your collection to know you are fully
qualified.

>Ahh, but I am a KISS-guy. You see, each additional component adds a
>point-of-failure, which must be backed up with appropriate redundancy.
>For some of the (non-photography) stuff I do, a failure can be
>life-threatening and redundancy (when it could be avoided) has its own
>set of similarly bad inconveniences/consequences. Such tends to rub off
>on other aspects in life, including photography ;)
>
>So step-up rings are, in my book, to be avoided. Also, it's a
>convenient excuse for having 49mm and 55mm versions of every lens, no?
>:)

More evidence of genuine Zuikoholism!

>>For me, there are two different ranges of shooting. When by myself, with
>>photography as the agenda and plenty of time, I enjoy primes. In the
>>many other situations where photography isn't the primary goal,
>>especially where other person(s) are involved, I like the way zooms
>>allow me to both get the shots and meet the social and time
>>constraints.
>>
>Ohh, but I agree. For those kind of social situations (which do not
>involve other Zuikoholics), I carry a Pentax Optio S4 ;)

Not enough for some such situations for me. This pic of one of our hosts
in Maine would never have been possible with a P&S. Only 16 bit RAW
conversion allowed control of the wide exposure range and keeping the
skin right. Now its the picture all her kids have on their walls in 8x10
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/GTreeBarb.htm>.

I used every focal length from 28-300mm several times on that walk. A
P&S wouldn't have given me the results I wanted, yet a full kit would
have been awkward on the trail and using it effectively would have
isolated me from the social aspects I wanted too.

>>Even on a walk by myself, and where time isn't a constraint,
>>photography
>>may not be the primary goal, but I would like to be able to shoot the
>>occasional interesting subject. For that, a modest mid-range zoom keeps
>>things light and simple. An OMPC and 35-70/3.5-4.5 is perfect for this,
>>a small, light package with exposure smarts that let me be a bit dumber
>>for the moment.
>>

>I am constantly surprised by how well the simple ESP of the OM-40
>actually works. I spent a weekend in London in '01 with an OM40 and the
>28/3-85/2 combo, and Kodakchrome 25 in the camera body. Flying
>fully-automatic, only one or two shots were off (metering-wise) --
>bravo for such a relatively primitive exposure system.
>
>(Again, this goes to my theory that "100000 3D matrix-metering"
>marketing slogan of some camera manufacturers is bull****)
>

>>Yes, the 85/2 is a great lens. The funny thing about this combo is that
>>they are almost exactly the same size and weight, in spite of the very
>>different focal lengths.
>>

>Yes. Toss in a T18 flash (almost same size) for fill-in flash and a
>body, and one is actually set up with very compact and very powerful
>equipment.

The T18 is a real sleeper. By doing away with connectors, auto mode,
etc. and adopting the more pedestrian form factor, they made a wonder
little take-anywhere TTL flash that has fewer red-eye problems than a
T20/32. Only problem is you aren't supposed to use Nicad or NI-MH
batteries. But somehow that fits the go light character, no chargers.

>>I have the same problem. I'm always reaching for the macro or long lens
>>to isolate that small part of the whole visual field that catches my
>>attention.
>>
>Heh, I believe that we covered that topic while having lunch with Jim
>last year (it was last year, no?), didn't we? :)

Well... Only 2 years ago. And the lunch concept was a bit fuzzy. I took
these on the way to my car
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/ZAOrinda.htm>.

I don't remember what film I was using, but it was an OM-4 with Tamron
SP 60-300 on a tripod.

Moose