[OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:54:03 +0000
But isn't that apples and oranges?  To get identical full- and half-frame
images, i.e., each covering side-to-side and top-to-bottom the excact same
subject matter, the half-frame image would have to be shot with a lens half the
focal length of the full-frame image.  Of course it's going to suffer in
comparison with the full-frame image when blown up to an equal-size print
because it's half the size of the full frame and has been blown up twice as
much.

I thought what we were talking about was photographs made with the same focal
length lens, the difference being whether the full image was captured, as a
full-frame camera would do, or just the center, as in a half-frame or 4:3
digital camera.  The smaller image will be identical to the same area from the
center of the larger one, and if that exact area is taken from the larger image
and both it and the smaller image are enlarged equally, they should be
identical in all respects, perhaps excepting digital artifacts and the fact the
digital one may appear to have been shot under water.  :-)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --