[OM] Gear glut and cameras older than dirt

Subject: [OM] Gear glut and cameras older than dirt
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:41:11 -0800 (PST)
Walt sales pitched:
> Don't let the age of the gear or of the seller deter
> you from this fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own
> some of the best.  What digital doo-dad you might spend your
> hard-earned money on today will be worth a fiddler's fart in
> 50 years?  Why, anything made today will have been in a
> landfill for at least 40 years by then. But this equipment has
> endured for half a century and will only appreciate with each
> passing day, and you will appreciate it with each passing day
> as it takes you into the realm of photographic excellence.

I threatened to auction the 4x5 to help fund some digital
yeehobs. But the CDFO vetoed that idea. She rightly assessed
that I'd turn right around and seek out another large format
film camera that was sure to cost more.  She was none to pleased
when I spent $200 on a 40 year old camera, but realized that
$200 saved about $1600 on a new 4x5.  I basically just run B&W
through the beast, but in this day of digital, it's really cool
to show up with a view camera. 'Course, I can digital with the
best of them now.

Large formats just have a way of making mediocre pictures great
and great pictures fantastic and fantastic pictures world class.
But when you don't get things right, your poor pictures are
worse than grunge. You're better off not putting the dark slide
back in.

Walt, I'd buy half of your stash of equipment in a heartbeat if
I wasn't already directing nearly all of my funds towards
digital.  Like it or not, my photography has to EARN its keep.
My art print sales happen regardless of format (mostly 35mm
BW/Velvia), and medium and large format film is no longer
appropriate for event/portrait/wedding photography--although I
do try to sneak in a 4x5 BW of the bride/dress.  I wish I could
justify a build-out of some MF gear, but unfortunately I can't.

However, if somebody with a glut of 4x5 gear were to offer me a
wide-angle lens for my Crown, I'd have to seriously consider it.

AG