[OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:22:46 -0800
What was good for 35mm film may not be so great with a tiny sensor.
Nothing to do with sensor characteristics except for the smaller size.
Suppose you have a pretty good lens that will resolve 60 lines/mm
average across a 35mm frame. You can potentially resolve 60 x 43.3 mm
across the diagonal. With a 4/3" sensor you can potentially resolve 60
x 22mm with the same lens. Some get a little boost because center
sharpness is higher and you get just the sweet spot of the image with
the smaller sensor so digital does not look as bad as it could with the
larger format lens. There is an advantage with having lenses designed
for the smaller format.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA
http://homepage.mac.com/wincros/PhotoAlbum3.html