[OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:55:38 -0600
At 02:39 PM 4/1/2005 -0800, you wrote:
> > Some get a little boost because center
> > sharpness is higher and you get just the sweet spot of the
> > image with the smaller sensor...
>
>So what you're saying is that many of my old silvernosed lenses
>will perform better than a later blacknosed, MC version. The
>older lenses were sharper in the middle with resolution falloff
>at the edges, whereas the later lenses were less sharp in the
>middle, but uniform across the entire 35mm image.
>
>I know, wishful thinking.
>
>I do really like the contrast and flare resistance with the
>14-54 zoom. Sharpness is not quite what I was expecting. When
>"pixel peeping" it is rather disappointing, but when those same
>pixels are thrown down on paper--look out! Very nice.
>
>AG

The Dpreview reviewer noted that the engineers seemed to have taken a hands
off approach to sharpening with the E-1 and suggested it be set to +2.  I
tried that and I find I actually like the default setting.  I guess I like
to do any sharpening in post and I don't always do it exactly the same, so
it's better for me that way.

The C-8080 is much sharper than the E-1 at default settings.  I cranked the
sharpness setting down to about -5 on the C-8080.

Joel W.