[OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:42:45 -0600
At 04:35 PM 4/1/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>I think that is a typical difference between a digicam and a DSLR.
>Nikon is one of the few that also take a light touch with the default
>sharpening on their Coolpix digicams and as a result they get constant
>complaints from people who just want to print the images without
>touching them and have an ill-deserved reputation for soft images. They
>have misjudged the market in this case.
>
>I think this is true of Joel as well, but I know I bought a DSLR within
>6 months of getting a digicam. I think that is fairly common with
>people who are used to using an SLR. Advice to people "thinking about
>it", skip the bridge camera and go straight to the DSLR because the
>second camera you get after getting your E-1 is likely to be different
>than the one you would have gotten first.
>

>Winsor
>Long Beach, California, USA

I don't know if I agree or not.  Everybody's path is not the same.  I don't
mind your telling people that, though.  Maybe people are better off doing
what you say and not what I do.  I tend to think the C-8080 just doesn't
quite fit the generalizations about digicams.

I went through the C-5060 in two months, settled into the C-8080 thereafter
and then added the L$mix, which together make a very complete and portable
"system."  About 10 months, I believe, from the beginning of that odyssey,
almost to the day.  I didn't save any money waiting to go to an SLR. I
don't especially feel like I've "arrived" with the E-1, but that could
change.  I am constantly delighted with Olympus' creations, I can say that
for sure.

Here's how I feel most transformed over the past 10 months:  I was not
prepared for how quickly I would lose my desire to shoot "serious" stuff
mainly on film.  That has really surprised me.  These toy cameras are
pretty good.  Nor did I pick up the E-1 and instantly improve my captures
over the digicams.  (It's coming along nicely though.)

What one can do with the L*mix should be considered stealing.  If Olympus
doesn't get IS going with the E-2, I am actually going to be very angry
about it.

Joel W.