[OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:20:40 -0800 (PST)
Joel wrote:
> Here's how I feel most transformed over the past 10 months:  I
> was not
> prepared for how quickly I would lose my desire to shoot
> "serious" stuff
> mainly on film.  That has really surprised me.

I'm suprised in this too. If it wasn't for the nicely equipped
darkroom and supurb BW photographic materials available, I'd
turn my back on film in an instant. Premise being, of course,
the acquisition of a full system with gobs of top flight lenses
and a few more pixels.

I don't shoot much film anymore, but what I do shoot I give
excessive attention to. I don't even bother popping a film
holder into the 4x5 unless I've pretested the shot with the
digicam. I now know right away whether or not the composition is
going to work.

I still have a few rolls of Velvia and Provia left. I suspect
that now I have the E-1 there will be little chance I'll
purchase any more. Other than a handful of backup shots on
Portra NC, I doubt I'll shoot portraits and weddings on color
film either.  Delta 400 still rules, though.  Portraits done
this past Sunday turned out lovely. Skin tones were as close to
perfect as I've ever managed in any aspect of digital
imaging--including scanning.

For those fence-sitters out there--the E-1 is an absolute
bargain right now. What it lacks in pixel count is more than
made up for in nearly every other aspect. I'm completely
satisfied that I've made the right decision. This is a camera
that I feel I can "trust".  Not just because of build quality,
but exposure system and image processing. This is a CAMERA
first, FILM REPLACEMENT second.  I don't feel like I'm trying to
fly a computer.

AG

Yahoo! Messenger