[OM] Re: US-only Auctions, was Tamron 35-105/2.8 $185

Subject: [OM] Re: US-only Auctions, was Tamron 35-105/2.8 $185
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:57:31 -0600
At 07:38 AM 03/04/2005, Chris Barker wrote:

>I cannot understand how PayPal can be so attractive to sellers, unless
>the charges are lower in the USA than in the UK.

They are lower (see PayPal's "Merchant Fees" section for details), but not
outrageously so.  The bottom end is pretty much identical for U.S. and
Euro-area merchants, while the top end is about 0.5% (of the transaction
price) more expensive for the Euro-area.  Seems within the range of
reasonable, IMNSHO.

I think the real attraction is that all fees are transaction-based (no
setup or monthly charges), and it's fairly simple to sign up as a
merchant.  Try getting a merchant account with Visa, Mastercard or
Amex.  Yikes.  Compared to those guys, PayPal's positively benevolent if
you're a small merchant.

>  I would use the
>British Nochex but for the fact that there is no published complaints
>sytem  and my experience with signing on with PayPal (under duress
>because some chap in Florida did not recognise the currency in an
>auction I set in 2001!) has put me off giving me details to any
>internet finance house without a proper set of rules for the protection
>of the consumer.

PayPal's rules are any different from any of the other major online
financial intermediaries?  In what way(s)?  (Not that I'm defending Paypal...)

Garth