[OM] E-1, Black on Black firmware update screen

Subject: [OM] E-1, Black on Black firmware update screen
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:35:58 -0400
Well, here's a new one for me. I just updated Olympus Studio to the 1.21
version. I then set up the E-1 for firmware update. Did all the necessaries,
such as inserting fully-charged battery, making sure camera control was set
to Control and not Storage, etc. (I have updated Firmware once before
without problem.) The first attempt brought me to the firmware update screen
where I was told I had version 1.4 and 1.5 was available. (Not sure about
the numbers, but you get the drift.) When I selected the E-1 body for
update, and then clicked on the download button, my monitor screen went
black--edge to edge, top to bottom. No amount of button pushing, cursing,
etc., brought back the screen. Even Ctl-Alt-Del didn't work. I had to
physically shut down via the power button on the CPU. So, I unhooked
everything, made sure all the controls were set properly, and hooked up
again. This time, as soon as I turned on the camera, the screen went black.
Sigh. Powered down again, then poswered up with camera already hooked to
computer and turned on. This time when I got to Firmware update, all I had
to do was click on the check for updates button for the screen to go black.

Any ideas?

Puzzled in Round Pond . . .

--Bob Whitmire