[OM] Re: Lens cleaning

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens cleaning
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:10:14 -0700
John A. Lind wrote:

>>Seriously?
>>
>>Kimwipes that I have seen in the UK look and feel pretty rough; I don't
>>think that I would use them for any lenses.
>>
>>Chris
>>

>My thoughts exactly . . . the ones we use where I work (by brand name) have
>the feel of lint-free sandpaper.  IMVHO they've been deliberately designed
>that way to keep them from being used as large "snot rags."

Well, maybe there are different grades for diferent purposes. John H.
has specifically recommended them for OM mirrors and Micro-Tools says
<http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/applicators.htm>"

"Kimwipes, Box
These economical yet highly useful and delicate task wipers are soft,
non- abrasive and are considered safe for use on delicate surfaces.
The Kimwipes EX-L Wipes are made from 100% virgin wood fiber."

I'm sure there have been other references to their use as safe,
lint-free cloth for cleaning lenses, but don't have them at hand.

John H. said:

"Kimwipes are made by Kimberly-Clark.   Item number is 34155 (60 boxes per
case) or 34120 (30 boxes per case).  I buy from Mastermans (1-800-525-3313),
though you may be able to get these by the box from Fargo.  The 30 box case
was about $90 + shipping from Mastermans. Each box holds 280 4.5 x 8"
tissues."

Moose