[OM] Re: Lens cleaning - now: polarizer cleaning

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens cleaning - now: polarizer cleaning
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:56:14 -0300
on 4/04/2005 09:56, Walt Wayman at hiwayman@xxxxxxx, wrote:

> or grease on the
> front or rear surface
When I bought my supposedly new 49mm Oly linear polarizer, its surface
happened to be covered by a thin layer of grease. I think it was some kind
of lube used between the pol mounting rings to make rotation easier, but
still not sure. It looked awful on the glass surface. Tried Kodak lens
cleaner and seem to remember to have tried denatured alcohol too, wiping
carefully with some sheets of Olympus lens tissue (yes, once I had a few
hundred sheets... never again able to find).
It was useless, grease remained but at least I hadn't damaged glass
surfaces.
At last, I decided to wash filter with warm water and liquid soap, then
clean again with Kodak cleaner and wipe until dry with tissue (guess why I
run out of Oly tissue so quickly :^) - I had to repeat the procedure twice
or thrice, I don't remember.
With great care, I was able to remove that grease layer without scratching
the filter. I was lucky too.
Same problem didn't show up when bought a 55mm Tamron linear pol.

HTH,

Fernando.