[OM] Re: Lens cleaning

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens cleaning
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:18:16 -0500
Quoting Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx>:

> Speaking of ROR:
>
> http://members.cox.net/gmhsint/CleaningSupplies.htm
>
> If the use of Kimwipes is approved in the opinion of
> Schneider (of whose lenses I have eight) and competent
> technicians like John H. (of whose services I have not
> yet availed myself, but intend to presently) then they're
> good enough for an old hillbilly like me.  :-)
>
> As for these miracle lens cleaning cloths, I wouldn't
> touch one with a 10-foot pole.  Whatever crud is on the
> lens gets picked up by and embedded in the cloth, so
> unless you launder it after every single swipe, with
> every subsequent "cleaning" of a lens surface, you're
> just grinding  away with the previously-captured crap.
>
> Walt, with 50+ lenses and 0 cleaning marks

Thanks for the link on ROR, which I really like for use in
the field.

I use a microfiber cloth with ROR. I have several MF cloths,
none immaculately clean and never washed, but they work well
in the field without scratching.  I don't know why. If
breath doesn't work as solvent, a little ROR and you're back
at it.

I like disposable cleaning papers, but not in the field.

I hasten to add that if I am cleaning at all, it's usually
to the UV filter.  I know everyone has different religious
views on UV filters, but I have one for every lens and use
it like a first-tier lens cap, with the actual lens cap
being the outer tier.  If I can remove both, I do, but if I
have to act fast or am in a windy or salty (ocean)
environment, I leave the filter on. Consequently, my filters
are often in need of cleaning on both sides.  I usually buy
Hoya filters, but I also test them to make certain I cannot
detect their use as causing deterioration of the image
(which I never have with Hoya, though once with a Tiffen).
I really believe I could just use them on the lens
permanently, but, well, I don't.  I guess it's a kind of
"yes, but I don't inhale" stand on the issue.

Joel W.