[OM] Re: US-only Auctions, was Tamron 35-105/2.8 $185

Subject: [OM] Re: US-only Auctions, was Tamron 35-105/2.8 $185
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 23:29:25 -0700
On Apr 4, 2005, at 11:12 PM, Bernard Frangoulis wrote:

> Strangely, bank to bank transfer fees appear to be very low in
> Germany. Thus, many German e-bay sellers only offer bank to bank
> transfer as a payment means. But for me, a bank transfer from France
> to Germany means paying an additional 10 Euro (approximately) as
> intra-European bank transfer fee ! (Fixed price for my bank, up to
> 100000 Euro transferred...)
>
> Bernard

The German government is very proactive in facilitating German banking
and business. A lot of the money used to develop and finance American
films comes from German monetary funds. There are all these companies
like Periscope that the German government in conjunction with German
banks allow to invest in 30 or more films at a time and then use the
short-term loss as a tax write-off (since it's usually at least a year
or more before a film recoups any of the initial investment). Germany's
partnership between government and the banking industry has made it the
place to go for film financing. It's not too surprising that they help
facilitate low transaction fees for domestic business transactions. I
wish we had that kind of system in place here in the States.