[OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:05:47 +0100
Piers Hemy wrote:

> Trying to get rid of Adware can make virus clean-ups look child's
play.

Agreed. Because ad- and spy-ware are written by pro's, not just pathetic
mindless electronic vandals. The writers of ad- and spy-ware are
generally very skilled and highly-paid proper developers.

We use AdAware, the M$ offering (beta version; free for 200 days, then
what?) and SpyBot. Unlike AV, I don't think one product is enough as the
Anti-spy market is still very immature and all the different products
are good at different threats.

In my experience, the best defence is using Mozilla Firefox instead of
M$ Internet Explorer for all browsing except those poorly-written sites
where nothing but IE works.

Simon