[OM] Re: (OM) OT WW2 hurricane

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) OT WW2 hurricane
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:14:09 +1200
Chris wrote in response to my note

> Lovely Brian!  Did you get a photo?
> Chris
>
> On 6 Apr 2005, at 0:23, Brian Swale wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have just been treated to the spectacle of a WW2 Hurricane fighter
> > ripping up the sky in front of my house.  Seemed to do it with amazing ease.
> >
> > Interesting, now that NZ have scrapped all of its fighter airforce, the
> > fastest
> > "warplane" here is privately owned..

And Martin wrote

> Brian:
> New Zealand has a small but impressive fleet of airworthy warbirds.  In
> the past the Breitling Fighters from the UK seem to have been frequent
> visitors down under. I believe the Hurricane has been come back from a
> complete restoration and has only been flying in the last year or so.
>
> My personal favourite is the Spitfire, in almost any variant.  In 2001,
> I just happened to be around Duxford (Cambridgshire) the day before its
> Sept airshow. Not only were the Red Arrows serenading us over breakfast
> with a practice session, but there were a spitfire and hurricane flying
> as well.
>
> We currently have one airworthy Spitfire (MkXVI) in Ottawa, and there
> are I believe a couple undergoing restoration.  While not based in
> Ottawa, we do have the only other flying Lancaster in the world.  It
> often appears for the June celebrations. Wonderfully evocative.
>
> Martin

I didn't get a photo; 7x50 binoculars was the closest I got, and it was quite
some way off. Not exactly standing around as it burbled through the sky. For
about 2 hours as far as I could tell; somebody was really having a blast.

Wanaka Warbirds at (every second?) Easter is the prime NZ vintage airshow,
and really pulls in the crowds.
There is a rival similar airshow now at Taupo, presumably to try and draw in
the larger crowds possible from the Auckland metropolis.
Wanaka is away down south in the dry scenic central Otago region, a long
way from metropoli.
A google search for Wanaka Warbirds ought to pull in something good.

Cheers, Brian