[OM] played w/ the 20D

Subject: [OM] played w/ the 20D
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:59:53 -0700
So, partly on my recommendation--ok, so it wasn't really me, they'd
already decided on it, and I as the resident gadget geek just gave them a
"good choice" approval--one of our departments at work got a 20D to
replace the DCS5xx or 6xx monster which no longer worked. Fiddled around
with it a few minutes. Attached was a 70-200 F2.8L USM.

i dunno why everyone crows about tiny dark viewfinders, i found it
fantastic WITH the glasses I wear--the whole field visible, ditto the info
bar on the lower edge.

the mirror slap is obnoxiously loud.

the continous shooting mode is very touchy--by the time you lift your
finger from single shot, it's already fired off two or three frames.

i thought the AF indicators would stay lit to indicate what focus point
was active--nope, it just blinked--and how the heck do they get those
squares to blink? is there an embedded LED onto the screen? couldn't see
any wires.

As my boss said, when he heard I wanted to get that camera soon: "once you
get it, you'll shoot it nothing but full manual mode, it's soo easy." I
argued the point, then after trying P/Av/Tv and full M, i do agree, M mode
rocks totally.

Very very clean images at 1600 (taking shots inside a television studio
during live recording).

Shutter release is a bit small for my taste--probably need to get used to
it.

Reading about it is one thing, but actually shooting w/ it is a different
ball of wax. I was pleased :) Now I want it even more, but not yet....
patience...

--
/S
aim:iddibhai