[OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion, and opinions wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion, and opinions wanted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:03 -0700
Mike wrote:

>My main PC is a 1.2GHz AMD Athlon processor, with 512Mb RAM.... You're
>prettyshort on RAM (which is cheap). Bump it up to 2GB or whatever the board
>will handle and I bet Photoshop would be a lot quicker not having to write
>to the hard drive.

I skipped most of this thread, as I generally do with religious
discussions on the list
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/07/DDGSVC3J641.DTL>.

This one slipped under the radar, though and is actually semi on-topic,
as all my OM shots go through PS on their way to the web.

My desktop is a 2.8ghz P4 that I upgraded to 1gb on memory when I bought
it and was working pretty well supporting PS until I got the 4000 dpi
scanner. The increase in scan size was enough to make a significant
difference. I've since added memory to 2gb. It does make a difference,
although not as much as I had hoped.

PS help also has a useful section on memory use and management, etc.
Putting the PS cache on a different physical drive from the Win cache
helps. Layers and History also can use up available memory and cause
disk I/O when you might not expect it. When I save an interim version of
an image, I erase History and Undo, releasing memory. If you do some
work in a layer, then merge it with another, History has to keep the
unmerged layers somewhere.

Saving to TIFF, especially with layers, can be much more time consuming
than saving to PSD format. Also, TIFF compression is often less than
useless. It tkaes longer and when I tested a couple of images, the
"compressed" files were LARGER than the unco pressed ones!