[OM] Re: Efke/Adox was Safekeeping T20 TTL connectors

Subject: [OM] Re: Efke/Adox was Safekeeping T20 TTL connectors
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:05:26 +0000
Earl,

Efke 25 is the film I turned to when the Great Yellow Father pulled the plug on
Panatomic-X, one of my all-time favorite B&W films. It was only when I couldn't
get Panatomic-X anymore that I discovered the old Adox KB14 formula was still
available.

Long, long ago, back in the nearly-dark ages, I would use this film for
portraits because of its very fine grain, and for street and landscape shots
because of it's great tonal range and exposure latitude, particularly when
given split development in DK-50 and something else.  I can't find any of my
notes from that long ago time (early '60s) so I'm not sure if the "something
else" was Microdol (that was before the X) or D-76.

Today, I use it for pretty much the same purposes, plus some occasional macro
with flash, and develop it in R09 (the original Rodinol) or D-76.  I have
experimented with Neofin Blue, but the jury's still out on that.  If properly
exposed and developed, because of its extremely fine grain, 8x10 in. prints can
be made from 35mm Efke 25 negatives that are all but indistinguishable from
prints made from larger format negatives, and even a carefully made 11x14 can
fool the unwary.  It's the only film I use whose grain, upon inspection at
great magnification, isn't clearly visible in 5400 d.p.i. scans.

It requires some effort and either lots of light or fast lenses and/or a
tripod.  And I wouldn?t recommend it for anyone not willing to do their own
processing.  It, of course, is also available in 120 rolls, but I will refrain
from going on about how good THAT is when blown up.

Check here for more information:

http://www.jandcphoto.com/

Walt

--