[OM] Re: Is OM Zuiko lens resolution enough for the E-300?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is OM Zuiko lens resolution enough for the E-300?
From: "John Hudson" <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:05:39 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Olympus mail list" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 08 April, 2005 09:44 PM
Subject: [OM] Is OM Zuiko lens resolution enough for the E-300?

> Any E-300 owners using OM Zuikos?  A quick calculation tells me that
> this sensor has 188 pixels/mm.  I seem to recall that good 35mm camera
> lenses resolve something like 60-100 lines/mm.  Seems to be a gap here
> and the digital Zuikos should be higer resolution to account for the
> higher magifnication required to make the same size print as a 35mm.
> Theoretically, the OM Zuikos shouldn't be good enough to tax the
> resolution of this camera's sensor.

This is likely to be my first and last interjection on the digital / analog
debate since  I am a diehard film person with far too much money invested in
film cameras ranging from 1960 era Leica Ms to 21 century Japanese MF with
OM along the way.

The reputation of 35mm film machinery depended to a large extent on the
quality of not only build quality but the quality of the optics to produce a
superior image [brands such as Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Contax, Canon, Olympus
and Minolta coming to mind].

In the context of build quality and especially optical lens quality what is
the reputation of present day digital machinery to produce a superior image
vis a vis what a Leica or high end Zuiko lens could produce yesterday or
today?

If I am completely off the deep end or completely uninformed about the
picture producing quality of today's digital machinery vis a vis what what
obtainable with a piece of Wetzlar or Zuiko glass can someone please come to
my rescue.

John Hudson