[OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT-ish] PC vs Mac - A SERIOUS discussion
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:31:02 -0400
Moose said:
Since all serious database work at that time was still mainframe, the
IBM PC3270, which was an integrated PC and 3270 terminal with hot key
switching and integrated data transfer, was just the finest thing around
for years.
--------------------------------------
Thanks for the compliment on the product.  Before I went to DOS and OS/2
land at IBM Boca Raton, FL in 1985 I was the technical assistant to the
PC3270 Development Manager at IBM Kingston, NY.  :-)

On a related note, and not well known, is that IBM Kingston (same lab as
developed the 3270PC) was in competition with IBM Boca Raton to develop
what ultimately became known as the IBM PC.  Kingston's choice for
processor was the Motorola 68000 (32 bit processor, 16 bit bus), same as
was ultimately used in the Mac.  Boca's choice for processor was the
Intel 8088 (16 bit processor with 8 bit bus).  The 68000 was a much
better choice for programmers but an engineering argument won out.  16
bit support chips had not been on the market for very long and were
judged potentially unreliable and Motorola had yet to produce the 68008
with 8 bit bus.

Think how much different the computing world might be now if IBM
Kingston had been successful championing the Motorola 68000.

Chuck Noructt