[OM] Re: Spitfires and obsolete military airfield OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Spitfires and obsolete military airfield OT
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:31:46 +1200
Fernando wrote

> Supposing the noun 'guerrilla' has an Spanish etymology, Brian; correct
> spelling is done with a double 'r' :^)
> How many times did I double (or missed to double) an 'n', 's' or 'p' so far,
> trying to write in English?
>
> Joking a little on a serious issue. Too late to be awake this Friday
> night... - no surprise pronouncing 'gorillas': is there an essential
> difference?

Well, to my mind there is.

And you have to bear in mind that all the different dialects of current English
(Scots, Irish, Welsh, British/English, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand,
etc) will give a different sound to these examples -- --   And I have forgotten
how to write the phonetic symbols for sounds.

To start with "gorilla" which has no "u" to be pronounced, the "o" could be
sounded like the "o" in "go" or in "more" and the word would be acceptable.

For guerilla, which comes from the latin-language equivalent of the english
word "war", eg the French "guerre" or the Spanish "guerra", and for those
who learned French, the "u" is pronounced one way or another.
So the syllable before the "r" would be pronounced something like
"gyew", but in a slightly guttural way with the sound formed at the back of
the throat. Maybe "geyu".   But not "go-rilla".

According to my dictionary, it may be spelled guerilla or guerrilla. I'm more
concerned about the sounds right now.

My 2 cents.

Maybe that is in red for Mike. Depends on the mail reader.

Brian