[OM] Re: Spitfires and obsolete military airfield OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Spitfires and obsolete military airfield OT
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 01:56:36 -0300
on 10/04/2005 00:31, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:

> According to my dictionary, it may be spelled guerilla or guerrilla. I'm more
> concerned about the sounds right now.

Very interesting, Brian.
It just so happens that I'm more concerned with the Spanish slang meaning of
'gorila' - the big monkey.
When left wing guerrillas spreaded in south america ( 'Che' Guevara, Fidel
Castro, Montoneros in Argentina, Tupamaros in Uruguay, forgot their names in
Chile, Paraguay and Brazil), the succesion of Coup d'Etat in each country
lead to military goverments (I was13 when they began here, and 25 when they
left)
People here used to call the higher rank militar organization,
internationaly coordinated by the Plan Cóndor, the Gorilas. Guerrillas
fought against Gorilas and viceversa, and Gorilas won and stayed in the
goverment for ages. I was a teenager and young man then, and thought it
would last forever.
So my rethorical question: was there a true difference between guerrilla and
gorilas? Who of them threw the stone first? Who were more violent? Who
excersised unconstitucional and common delinquency in a worse and evil way?
We still don't know, and it's somehow funny peculiar that in my rather
conservative country, those on the guerrilla were voted to govern for the
next five years, for the first time since '85. And they have a different
understanding of recent history. And it is not comparable to Néstor
Kirschtner in Argentina, or Lula da Silva in Brazil, Lagos in Chile, Chávez
in Venezuela... and I don't even know who was voted to govern in Paraguay,
where the elder (32 years old) daughter of former president Cubas was found
murdered in a particularly sadistic manner on February 2005 after being
kidnapped for months.

I was almost asleep when answered your email on Friday night, and my dimmed
consciousness was quickly caught by that strange gerilla-gorilla confusing
sounds... :^)

I'm sure Mike knows about this, despite the red D mark. He made me remember
about the Triple Alianza war. John Hudson has an idea about Tupamaros and
some about chilean recent history.

Let's see how things go here during this govermental period (president is
named Tabaré Vázquez) but things are not starting as most people hoped to.
But it's too early to make an opinion.

Best wishes,

Fernando.