[OM] Re: Question on DVDs

Subject: [OM] Re: Question on DVDs
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:02:40 -0500
At 12:11 AM 4/10/2005, Fernando wrote:
>on 10/04/2005 01:46, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:
>
> > '-' and '+' are the result another of the endless format wars.
>[big snip]
>
>Thanks a lot, Moose. I had bet beforehand you would be the first to share a
>practical answer.

Be aware of media write speeds when purchasing the media, and of machine
limitations .  I have a Sony DRU-720A CD/DVD burner in desktop #1 that
handles nearly the fastest current read and write speeds for CD's and DVD's
of all types including dual layer DVD's.  It can burn DVD+/-R's at 16X, but
even with an AMD64 3400+, DDR-400 RAM and 7200RPM HDD driving the burner, I
must burn a DVD image to the HDD first, then write that to the DVD to avoid
buffer under-runs (and therefore "coasters") with 16X DVD+/-R's.  The
alternative is throttling back Nero to a lower write speed (8X with DVD+/-R's).

I encountered several problems the Other Half's laptop last week.  Her
CD/DVD drive cannot read faster 10X-24X CD-RW media; it does not recognize
what they are ("unreadable").  Handles the fastest CD-R's just fine.  Her
drive is rated for writing only 4X DVD+R's.  It can read the 16X DVD-R's
just fine, but cannot write them (doesn't recognize what they are).  I also
have a Sony DRU-710A CD/DVD burner in desktop computer #2 and it doesn't
recognize the 16X DVD-R media for writing either (reads them OK).  Burners
seem to be quite finicky about rated media speeds when writing CD-RW's and
DVD's (+/-R and +/-RW).

Be aware of what media your readers can handle also.  I have a couple
"dumb" readers in older video machines.  DVD-R is just about universal for
the "dumb" readers used in them.  Some of the older ones will not read
DVD+R's.  I write my video DVD's using DVD-ROM "book" even though the media
is 16X DVD-R.

Bottom line . . .
Computer CD/DVD burners can be finicky about what speed CD-RW they can read
as well as write, and what speed DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW they can write
also.  Don't make an assumption that the rated speed of the media is the
top limit and that they'll work in a CD/DVD reader or burner rated at lower
speed.  This appears to be (based on my experiences) most applicable to
CD-RW's, DVD+/-R's and DVD+/-RW's.  Likewise, the "dumb" readers in DVD
video machines can be finicky about whether DVD they're reading is +/-R.

-- John Lind