[OM] Re: Spitfires and obsolete military airfield

Subject: [OM] Re: Spitfires and obsolete military airfield
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:06:38 -0600
A man from here named Browning had a company called Red Baron Racing and
they built a Mustang with counter-rotating propellers that was supposed to
be the only one in existence. They raced it for several years with an
impressive list of wins. It was crashed and destroyed. He also had the only
F105 jet in private ownership (his claim) that was crashed in an altitude
record attempt. His exotic airplane adventures caused eventual bankruptcy
but he had a great time while it lasted. He recently died. I used to have
some pictures of his favorite projects but am not sure where they are. /jmac

<<< snip

> All single engined prop planes will turn more easily in the direction
> of prop
> rotation. Pilots learned to live with it. Twins should not have this
> problem.
> However, it depends. The P-38 Lightning had handed engines (they
> rotated in
> different directions). The Mossie generally had both engines rotating
> in the
> same direction, though the later marks had handed Merlins (again
> IIRC). It was
> really a question of gearing  the prop drive accordingly (I never
> understood why
> Supermarine/RR didn't either design the Griffon to rotate the same
> direction as
> the Merlin, or gear the prop accordingly). However, planes of the size
> of the
> Mossie had much larger airframes and control surfaces, so would have
> been better
> able to control prop torque.

<<<<< snip