[OM] Re: Zuiko Digital/Zuiko Analog Bakeoff

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Digital/Zuiko Analog Bakeoff
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> I can't compare primes to primes, but I can compare the 14-54 ZD with my
> 50/3.5.  The quick report is that the 50/3.5 works great and I thought
> surpassed the 14-54, though the zoom is certainly amazing in close quarters.

Great comparison, thanks!  The 14-54 probably isn't the best choice of lens
to check resolution, I find it to be rather poor actually.  It's not bad on
the telephoto end, but the wide end is horribly soft.  I've heard that the
cheaper E-300 kit lens performs better!

One thing your test did indrectly do is confirm the difference in colour
balance I've seen between the ZD and OM lenses.  I took your samples and
added quite a bit of yellow and some magenta to the ZD shot.  Here's the
resulting comparision:  http://olympus.dementia.org/E-1/ZDvsZ.jpg  In this
case I rather like the yellowish colour balance better, but in many other
cases you really need to be aware of it when using the OM lenses.
                                -mark