[OM] Re: Zuiko Digital/Zuiko Analog Bakeoff

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Digital/Zuiko Analog Bakeoff
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:58:29 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:

>Thanks for that, Mark.  The "look" of the 50/3.5 version is what I am used
>to, but I was too lazy to do what you did.  It is surprising to me that the
>camera's WB algorthm doesn't render both exactly the same, since the only
>peek it gets is through the glass.

Not really, to quote dpreview because it was quicker to find thanan
online E-1 manual, "the E-1 has automatic white balance which it
implements using a combination of information from its external white
balance sensor and captured image data."

I know I've read about situations where the external WB sensor gets
tricked by being in light quite different from the subject and throws WB
off.

>At least we know that there is a "glass factor" in the color palette.
>
>Ags and I had some offlist discussion about quasi-macro use of the
>14-54.  I had some initial shots at 54mm that rendered absolutely terrible
>bokeh.  Pulled back to about 35mm and closely focused the bokeh was
>beautiful.  The lens is a little mysterious.  We've also experienced the
>vignetting at the long end that was discussed a couple weeks ago.

Might be interesting to try the Lens Shading compensation. It adds about
20+ seconds to write time for SHQ JPEG, but that wouldn't matter for a
macro setup test. No penalty for RAW shooting and if you have Oly
Studio, the shading compensation can be done there.

Moose