[OM] Re: travel kit

Subject: [OM] Re: travel kit
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:04:22 -0300

> > But for as close as you can come to a pocket camera, they are
> > better for shooting slide film, as it is necessary to use an 81a filter
at
> > altitudes around 8 to 12,000 feet,

> Oh well, I'll try to remember this... why is it so?

Okay, I'll see if I can remember this correctly.  If not, Moose, who seems
to have a better memory than any elephant, and certainly better than me, can
probably give the correct answer :-) Apparently the standard for color
temperature of films was set in the United States, somewhere in the area of
Washington DC I think. And that area is only a few feet above sea level,
maybe less than 1000. As you go up in altitude, color temperature shifts,
for whatever reason..... maybe because the air is thinner? UV doesn't get
filtered out so much? somebody knows the scientific answer I'm sure. I think
it's sort of like sunset color temperature, which is warmer as it comes
through more atmosphere, because of coming on an angle. The 81a filter,
being slightly warm (orangeish-brownish-yellowish) corrects the color back
to nearer the standard at high altitudes.
You won't notice the color shift problem so much with print film, as the
one-hour developing machine will "correct" the color of the print, no matter
what color the film saw.
Nor will it be a problem with digital, as you'll actually "want" to correct
every shot anyways, either by fiddling with the WB before you push the
shutter button, or in PS afterwards. A digital camera is not supposed to get
the color right on its own, anywhere, anytime, ever. If it did, that would
be insulting the intelligence of the photographer, or interferring with his
artistic creativity. As digital camera makers know, each and every
photographer using digital will suddenly become the new world standard and
authority on color balance anyways.   ;-)  :-).

> Take a tripod... you'll be travelling in a SUV.
>
> Fernando.

Yes, but not travelling alone, and the non-photographer types typically get
suddenly antzy to move on if they see you setting up a tripod.

Wayne (running from the list for a month or so)