[OM] Filters at altitude / Bolivia

Subject: [OM] Filters at altitude / Bolivia
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:21:58 -0500
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:19:23 -0300, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

>on 12/04/2005 00:12, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:

>>> .... and if the atmosphere is bluish and shinny up there, why not capture it
>>> so ?
>>>
>> Because what your eye sees and likes and what the film sees are quite
>> different. To capture it the way you see it requires a filter.

>Thanks god I've never travelled before to Bolivia Ecuador or Peru.
>Would have made a lot of filter mistakes. Anyway, just for the sake of
>curiosity, I would take a picture with an 81a and the next without, if I had
>the chance. Then I would decide if I prefer the thin bluish atmosphere.

FWIW, a friend of mine just returned from 3 months in Bolivia, Peru, and Chile.
While he was gone, he'd e-mail his snapshots, and I posted them on a
website for the rest of his friends to see. National Geographic probably won't
be running many of his shots, but he was shooting without a filter (using a
consumer Canon digicam), and he spent a lot of time at altitudes between 12K
and 15K, so his shots may give you an idea of what sort of colors you'll get in
Bolivia without an 81a.

Moon warning: My friend has a pretty good sense of humor, and there are 3
"moon" shots mixed in with the 300 or so travel shots. They're not obscene, but
those easily offended might bypass the site.

www.beancotton.com/brendan/

BB

--
Barry B. Bean